Thursday, November 1, 2007

Working On My Puppy List . . .

We're fast approaching the time when I need to get my puppy list in order, and decide which puppy will go where. The pups are changing rapidly now, so we'll start deciding who should be considered show potential, and who will be OK to go as a pet. Show breeders hate to screw up and have the best pup in the litter end up as a spayed pet, but with excellent homes waiting (more or less patiently) I hate to keep the buyers waiting too long. If I can get my busy daughter to meet me at Tom's for pictures when the pups are about six weeks old, it will make things easier. I have 6 week pictures of 40 years worth of Dalmatians - although the photo quality leaves a bit to be desired on some of the earlier colored shots! Pups at 6 weeks have proportions and outlines very similar to what they will have as adults, they are starting to trot when they move so their gaits are becoming evident, their spotting is pretty much complete (anything added from now on will be a small "tick" mark) and their personalities are starting to develop. The pups are5 weeks old now, so the next week will be incredibly busy.

Tom will be keeping the pick puppy, but the overall quality of this litter appears to be very high, so there may be several "picks". Unless he has made up his mind early on, we'll probably let some of the pups go to pet homes, and keep the others for a bit longer. Some puppies benefit from an extra week or two of development.

One of the people on my puppy list has "disappeared". She has not responded to my emails or been over to visit the pups, so she'll probably be replaced on the list. Because I still have a few more people waiting than I am likely to have puppies for, I've got some flexibility.

I know Ron will be very sorry to see Indy go this weekend, as she has been lots of fun. Because I only keep a limited number of dogs, I needed to keep space open for just the right puppy. Hopefully one of Boji's babies will be that puppy!