Sunday, November 11, 2007

Great Weekend!

Finally, a moment to get caught up here. Didn't get a chance to do a blog entry before heading off to dog shows this morning.

Saturday's good news was that the pups were all BAER bialteral, as expected. I learned how to home test and recognise any unilateral puppies because I did not want any surprises when they are tested. The pups had a busy day, with additional company and a photo shoot too. Not sure how things went today, except that I know Tom and Dawn are probably missing Boji terribly. She came to stay and have her final litter of pups, and is now officially retired. Boji's breeder Ronna Hill (who has Boji's mother Morgan) has a friend who really wanted Boji, so she has her forever home now. Boji is a terrific dog and will make a wonderful companion, and we wish her and Shanna well.

On Tuesday the pups get their Vet check up and their first shot. Dawn will bring them to visit my Vet Dr. John, and I will meet her there and take the pups home with me. Another car trip, a vet check up and an overnight at my house will be perfect for the continuing socialization process. Visiting other locations with their littermates helps them to become brave and adaptable in new situations. While they are here Jess and I will take another set of pictures, and I will let the pups interact with their dad Argus, and my other male Watson who is also great with pups. Coral and Josie will probably want to say Hi too, but I can just see the look on Coral's face - OH NO, NOT MORE PUPPIES! Old Sid will probably swear under his breath, curl up in his crate and put his face to the wall. Sid has seen far too many pups in his lifetime, and finds them most annoying at this age, but he does appreciate girl pups once they are a bit older. I'll also take the pups one at a time into one of my extra bedrooms, so I can see how they respond on their own. That's one of the projects for this week, individual socialization. It seems as if they were just born, yet several of the pups may actually be leaving next week . . .

Argus had a wonderful weekend of dog shows. We entered him in four IABCA International shows, which are somewhat different than AKC shows. Jess handled him on Saturday, as I was busy with other things - like pups. She and Argus had a most successful day, winning two Groups, a Best In Show and a Reserve Best In Show (they run two shows per day, which is sort of like a 5 ring circus). Tough act to follow, but Argus and I did equally well today, finishing his Int. Championship, winning two groups and again going Best In Show and Reserve Best In Show. Very exciting, lots of fun, and the rosettes are great!

The 6 week puppy pictures are posted on a webpage, with a link from the regular puppy page.