Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Pups Are Here . . .

Things just got a bit busier, and I'm quite sure I won't have time to post tomorrow! I picked up Clark, Gracie, Ava and Lana tonite, and got them settled into a pen in the basement. A couple of pups were a bit drooly, but no one got carsick this time. I'll take them out for another ride tomorrow evening, just to make sure Lana will be OK for the long road trip up to her new home in Canada. Ava will be flying out on Wednesday, so she needs to spend some time in a Vari Kennel to prepare her for that. They both need to start wearing collars tomorrow too. Still have to get the health certificates picked up, and get the puppy packets finished.

They've grown since Friday, really shooting up. Clark and Gracie are still the slimmest, obviously not chowhounds like chubby Lana. They will be staying with me for awhile, so I can get to know them better. I've got Gracie figured out already - she's a BRAT - very full of herself, and determined to have her own way. She just looks you right in the eye and challenges you. I can tell she's a smart one and has her father's in-your-face sort of personality. Clark just does his own thing, not quite as clingy as some of the others. He's friendly, but not as needy. My Josie is like that. Friendly and affectionate, but does not have to be under my feet and touching me all the time like Argus and Watson do. Argus is always watching me, and whenever I look at him I find that he is looking back. I see Gracie doing exactly the same thing.

Wish it were going to be warmer this week, so the pups could spend more time outdoors. They can have such fun in the yard this time of the year when there are no flowers that need protecting.

I'm sure things are very sad at Tom & Dawn's tonite. They have put so much time, work and emotion into this project for the past four months. And now they are left with just their two puppies . . . Even though you know you can only keep one or two, there is a huge emptiness when the puppies leave. When I picked up the pups tonite, Dawn wasn't there. She couldn't watch the puppies depart. And I had expected that. Tom kept a stiff upper lip, but I know how he was feeling . . . I hope they take comfort in the fact that I have done my best to insure that the pups have the very best of homes.

If Clark and Gracie don't stay with me, they will go to equally good homes.

Time to give the pups their bedtime snack!