Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Things Are Lively In Paisleyland!

Pups had a busy day. When I got home at noon, we took all four into the backyard for some exploring. The pups were cold at first, but soon warmed up and had a great time zipping around, playing chase games and digging in the leaves. Too bad it's really too cold this time of year for them to stay out for very long.

Yesterday evening they all came up to play in the family room with the big dogs. Watson and Argus particularly enjoy puppies, so it was great fun to watch. I crated old Sid, who would swear at any small spotted brats who sniffed his crate. Coral mostly stayed out of their way, and silly Josie tried to figure out if perhaps these were her puppies. In the end she just laid on top of all the squeaky toy babies to protect them, but when Clark sniffed around she offered to let him nurse. She's lucky he didn't try, as those teeth are mighty sharp!

I do wish that Lana did not insist on carrying her tail so high, as she's looking very nice right now. Ava is a heartbreaker, with an almost invisible (under ear) patch keeping her out of the show ring. She's so sound and beautifully spotted, with a calm sensible personality. Gracie is very slight of build, and although she has a really pretty front, nice markings and her father's personality, she really is not exactly what I wanted from this litter. I'll probably run her on for a bit, and then place her in the right situation. I only have room for one more girl, and I don't think it's probably her. Clark is lovely, although has a little more reserved personality than I am used to. Not timid, but not an in-your-face sort of guy like his dad. That may change when there are fewer pups to compete with. He's a very easy puppy, and extremely handsome. It's awfully tempting to keep him, but I really do not need an Argus son yet, as Argus just turned two.

So I'll run Gracie and Clark on for a bit before making up my mind. My friend Meg has bred her Coral daughter who I co-own, to a handsome young dog I admire, a half brother to Argus. Perhaps my puppy will be in that litter. Violet McSherry came out well on her health testing, and will probably be bred to Argus this winter, with the pups being done here, so I have that to look forward to as well.

We'll see. We go into each litter looking for the "perfect" pup, and are always pleased if we get some good ones. This litter was healthy and sound and had a number of very nice pups who should do well in the showring, plus some awesome pets, but perhaps no one that will stay here forever. There's always next time!

I'll try to get the 7 week litter pictures posted to my website this week, and add a few more cute pictures to the puppy page. Tom will keep up his blog, and can use it to post new pictures. I am signing off on mine. See you down the road! It's been fun, and thanks for reading along.

Sue