Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween

At last, a chance to sit at the computer while Ron answers the door. I told Coral that she would be wearing a bark collar if she announced all the ghosts and goblins, and she must have believed me as the dogs have been great. Being a city person, I discourage all unnecessary barking, especially when the dogs are outside. Nothing annoys me more than dog owners who let their pets annoy the neighbors.

It's been busy here, but I'm catching my breath today. I took off after work yesterday to meet up with Lily's co-owner in the wilds of Wisconsin and return her. Tomorrow Joy flies in from Tennessee to honeymoon with Argus, so I will be back to my four EXTRA daily walks.

On Saturday we are delivering Indy to her new home in New Ulm. Her new family prefers not to drive into the city, and who can blame them! Because we have not met them yet, this will give us a chance to get to know them. They've owned a number of Dals in the past, but because we've grown fond of Indy, we want to be sure this is the right situation for her. And Ron wants to tour the Schell Brewery! When I asked if he wanted to ride along, he already knew what hours they had tours of the brewery.

The registration applications are back from AKC - amazing how much faster they are nowadays. I used to keep the registrations on the pets until after they were spayed and neutered. Because there is a free insurance policy with the registrations now, I sell the pets on limited registration, have the owners sign the spay/neuter agreement, and sign over the registration, urging the new owner to send it in promptly.

I'm working on the puppy packet too, printing off the informational articles, my own puppy booklet, and revising the contract slightly. The puppy collars are already here, as are the Pro Plan Puppy Packs. Still need to order the copies of "How To Raise a Puppy You Can Live With".

Pups that are raised at my house are raw fed, and I give each new owner a copy of a book on raw feeding. Because Tom and Dawn are new to raw feeding, I suggested they wean this litter on Pro Plan Select Turkey & Barley Puppy Food. If I were going to feed kibble to my dogs, that's what I would feed. However, my dogs have not eaten kibble for 6 1/2 years, and most of my puppy buyers have also continued feeding a diet far more appropriate for a canine than processed grain. If I keep a pup from Boji's litter, it will also eat a raw diet.

I really miss having puppies here, but with as busy as it's been I'm really glad that Tom & Dawn are doing the litter. They're done a great job with the pups, who will be healthy, well socialized and ready to face the world. SOON! How can that be?