Thursday, October 25, 2007

Busy Week

I went over to see the pups last night and drop off some worm medicine for them. Also took some quick snaps of each cute little face, so I can learn to match their new names with the right puppy. It's hard when they don't live here!

Oh, so cute! They were up and playing when I arrived, although that doesn't last long at this age. Tom put down a heavy tarp in the family room (to protect the carpet) and it was covered with a comforter - and puppies and lots of toys. They are in the pen when no one is with them, but they have a wonderful place to play and be socialized. They are amazingly beautiful! Am I prejudiced? Their spotting is so crisp and sharp already that it looks like shiny black holes in their silvery coats. They look amazingly similar, except for Sherman who looks like himself. The puppy boy who was originally the smallest, the one that Tom worried about, really caught my eye last night - I think his name is Sam Spade. What a handsome puppy!

It's going to be a busy couple of weeks, as in addition to commuting to see the pups, we have a honeymooner here who is visiting Argus. "Lily" arrived from Indiana and is a lovely daughter of my Watson, bred by my friends Meg & Ginger, and owned by them and JodyLynn. When I purchased Argus, I hoped that he would be suitable for a Watson daughter to be bred to, so now we will see how that works. Lily is in the honeymoon suite in the basement - and is none too happy about it. She expresses her distaste for her accomodations by howling - at night. Not good. Four long walks a day should be enough for any Dal, but of course she is lonely. Hopefully she will adjust quickly, as I could use a full night's sleep!

"Joy" will arrive from Tennessee next week, flying in - hopefully AFTER Lily has left. I can't see myself squeezing in 8 bitch walks a day! There are times when it would be a lot easier if I had a kennel! Things always happen in bunches though, and these breedings have been planned for quite awhile - but you have to wait until the girls cooperate and come in season. Argus's second wife "Reggie" is pregnant in Florida and I've even seen an ultra sound of her babies-to-be! Joy is a daughter of a wonderful liver agility dog named Sassafrass, who is a grand daughter of my old Morris who died last January. We are hoping that Argus will produce good performance dogs, and that they inherit his terrific attitude (in addition to his good looks).

Like Boji, Reggie, Lily and Joy are champions, are owned by responsible hobbyists and have have their BAER (hearing), CERF (eye) and OFA (hip joint) testing. I know the owners will raise their puppies with care, see that they are properly socialized, and carefully placed, will sell the pets on spay/neuter contracts, and will be there for the pet owners. I've done appropriate health testing and placed pets on spay/neuter contracts for many years, and only accept bitches for breeding from people who share my philosphy on these important issues.

I've sold my puppy Indy, who will be going to a family that recently lost their older Dalmatian. I've talked to several families about Indy, but this one seemed just right. I love placing puppies in homes that have had a Dal in the past, and lost it to old age. Ron is quite attached to Indy, and after they've lived with you for a couple of months it's even more important that they get matched to just the right home. Gotta squeeze in a vet visit for Indy, before she goes off to make her way in the world. She's a terrific dog, and we'll miss her.

Time to walk Lily . . .