Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Puppy Reservations

Taking puppy reservations is a lot more work than just "keeping a list". There are show potential puppies, performance puppies and companion puppies, experienced owners who can manage a livelier or more headstrong puppy, and less experienced owners who would be better off with a mild mannered puppy. Everyone wants to "pick their puppy", but in general I match up the pups to the homes. If we have any show potential pups, they will go to show homes - it's way too hard to produce top quality (according to the breed standard) pups with the right kind of personality, to put them in homes where they will never be seen again. Performance pups must have "drive" and be particularly sound and confident. They are often the pups that would be more challenging in permissive pet homes, because they need a job to do.

My reservation list has homes looking for all of the above, and over the next 5-6 weeks it is my job to assess and evaluate each puppy, and to get to know the people who are looking for companion pups so that I can do the best possible job of placing the right pup with them. Once I have decided which pups will go as companions, those at the top of the list may have some options, but even then I try to influence them to pick the pup that I think will fit their situation and meet their expectations. It's harder when the pups don't live with me this time, but Dawn and Tom will get real tired of me camping out in their basement! I will also depend on Tom & Dawn, and my daughter Jess for their observations.

Adding a puppy to the family is a serious consideration. Dals generally live 12 or more years, and I want the puppies I place to go to forever homes. The wrong dog or an unprepared home can be a disaster, and I would much prefer not to have to rescue a screwed up dog from a bad home. I've had very VERY good luck in my puppy placements over the years, due to a number of reasons. We try to breed the healthiest, best tempered pups we possibly can, we provide maximum socialization, all potential homes are carefully evaluated, and we are always here to answer questions and help with problems.